Spring Break 2009

Saturday April 4, 2009

Sarah Miller, Emily Peek and I left Roswell for Toler’s Cove Marina near Sullivans Island, SC.  We rented a car one way since all the flights were full for the day.  Nice drive and a beautiful day to start our trip.  We arrived in Toler’s cove around 3:30 p.m and began provisioning and prparing for our journey.  Ann, Michael and Reyna were to join us Sunday around noon to begin the trip South.  Our destination was Edisto Island, SC.  We planned to dock at the Edisto Island Marina and explore the Island for a day or two.  Unfortunately, things didn’t work out quite as planned.

Sunday April 5, 2009

Ann called me at 7:10 a.m to say that Reyna’s grandfather had died that night, and that she and Michael would not be coming.  Ann arrived late on Sunday so we could not begin the trip as planned

Monday April 6, 2009

Left for Edisto from Toler’s Cove with strong winds and a squall line headed our way.  We had 45 NM to go through the intracoastal waterway. It really winds through this part of the waterway with narrow channels, strong currents and shoaling in several spots.  There are some beautiful homes and deserted stretches along this route.   As you can see below, Eliot Cut and Wapoo Creek link Charleston Harbor to the Stono River.  The current through the cut is very fast.  We recorded 4.5 knots of current as we were passing through!

Wapoo Creek and Eliot Cut

We arrived at Edisto around 3 p.m.  They put us at the fuel dock starboard-to but with a 2-3 knot current and wind gusting to 38 kts, we just couldn’t do it.  We pulled away, swapped the lines and bumpers for a port-to dock and easliy brought it in.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the dinghy off so we lost our transportation for a couple of days.

Tuesday April 7th

COLD!  44 degrees with 25 knot winds and stronger gusts.  We tried the beach but couldn’t stand it.  Larry at the Edisto Marina office generously loaned us his car and we were at least able to go to lunch and do some shopping for a couple of hours.  We played a lot of Rummy Cube and Scrabble as the winds whipped around us.

Wednesday April 8th.  We decided enough was enough and headed back to Charleston.  Still cold but sunny and not as much wind.  We made record time as we had the currents with us the whole way and pulled into IOP marina at 2:00 p.m.  Another very difficult docking situation with strong currents and winds pushing us in the same direction.   I got it in on the second try with plenty of help from the dock hands  and we spent a couple of hours washing the salt off the boat and cleaning up.  Sarah and Emily cruised the waters in the dinghy for the  afternoon and dinner at the Banana Cabana  topped off the day.

Wednesday April 8th

We decided to go fishing in our other boat, the 22′ Sea Hunt.  The tides were so low, many of the boats in the marina were laying in the mud!  We were able to push our boat out of the slip by hand and headed out for a few hours of fishing.  We did pretty well with the cast net, but other than two crabs, we caught nothing.  We had dinner at Dunleavey’s pub on Sullivans Island and prepared to head home the next morning.

Dunleavey's Pub - Best wings on the island!
Dunleavey’s Pub – Best wings on the island!

2 thoughts on “Spring Break 2009”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *